Here are some tips on how to stay in control and gamble more safely:
- Don't think of gambling as a way to make money. It should be used for fun and entertainment purposes only!
- Only gamble with money you can afford to lose. Don't gamble with money that you need for rent and bills.
Set a money limit in advance - decide how much you can afford to lose before you go to play. When it's gone - step away.
You can set a spending limit with online gambling sites. The sites will alert you when you've reached your limit, and can
lock you out for a short time to make sure you don't stake any more.
Set a time limit in advance - It's easy to lose track of time when you're gambling. Set a time limit or alarm,
and when time's up - stop.
- Never chase your losses. Chasing your losses will usually just lead to bigger and bigger losses.
- Don't gamble when you're depressed or upset. Make sure you only gamble when you're happy and clear headed.
- Balance gambling with other activites. Make sure gambling isn't your only pastime.
- Take frequent breaks and make sure to get some air or a bite to eat at regular intervals.
Don't drink or use drugs when gambling - good judgement stands as your main line of defence against letting gamblling
get out of control
For further advice and support, visit one of these support organisations: